Monday, June 13, 2016

Detoxify Yourself From Media

Day after day it seems there is nothing but death, destruction, bitterness, and unhappiness flooding in on us from every direction. It is hard not to get discouraged. It is time for a wind down from the news of the day. To find away to relax and enjoy life.


To Follow Or Unfollow

One of the things that I did on Facebook was Unfollow. I Unfollowed news organizations, news papers, and even some of my friends. I know this sounds harsh, especially the friend part. Keep in mind that Unfollowing is not the same as Unfriending. Unfollowing only shuts down the feed that comes from them to your page. You still can be friends with them. You just don't have to see what they are talking about or posting all the time. If you change your mind and decide that you wish to see them on your feed you can always follow them again. It isn't permanent. I love my Facebook family and friends.

Why did I Unfollow these organizations and people? There are many organizations, especially the news, that nearly always only put negative things on their pages. If I am going to have a continuous feed on Facebook, it had better be the good and the bad. There are positive things that happen all of the time but they rarely make the news. I know I would like to hear or read them, wouldn't you?

As far as Unfollowing actual  friends or even family, the reason is clear. We all have those friends or family members that are never happy, it seems. Whether it is negative political talk or the constant posts of profanity, hate talk, dirty talk, or just plain constant talk about how the world is against them. Sometimes, if they have extreme views on things, it is an easy solution to keep in touch with them and preserve the relationship rather than removing them from your friends list.


Sometimes It Is Good Just To Detoxify Yourself From All Media 

Another thing that I do on a regular basis is avoid the news for a few days at a time. There is nothing on there that I won't see in a few days. Not turning on the TV during news hours so that I can detoxify myself. Trust me when I tell you that it is nearly impossible to avoid the news completely because word of mouth, books, magazines, social media, and television are all around us. So unless we barricade ourselves in a cave somewhere away from everyone, which sounds nice at times, we will hear about it.

No, I don't bury my head in the sand. As a matter of fact, I like to keep informed and before I talk about something I like to research it to make sure that the information is correct. Eventually, I catch up on everything I have missed. But it is important not to let the negativity of the world take you down with it. Find a place and a way to recharge from it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog! Have a great day!!