Monday, June 6, 2016

The Book I Will Be Reading For A Year!

The current book that I am reading, I will be reading for a year. Seems like a long time to be reading one book right?

The book is The Intellectual Devotional: American History.  I chose history because I like history. However, there are several other subjects in this line of books as you will see by the link above. These are New York Times Bestsellers. Written by David S. Kidder and Noah D. Oppenheim. Obviously, there are several types of devotionals but this is the one I chose. I do have faith based ones as well.

It is a great book so far and keeps my mind sharp. There are times when I can't seem to remember anything, sometimes even simple words. My brain goes dumb on me and I feel like my mind is slipping. I have found that the best way to cure this for me is to actually read a book. It doesn't have to be long or even informative really. Even a romance novel, which I call 'no brain activity', ironically enough, because you know how they all end, will do. Reading a book stimulates my brain to wake it up. This combined with being active and getting fresh air are a great combination to keep things working right.

Not the book I'm reading but a very good alternative.


I have tried E-Readers, which are great, mind you. But for me, I need the stimulation of the senses as well. In other words, I need to hold the actual book in my hands, turn the pages, and feel the texture of them at my fingertips. I am also one of those strange people that likes the smell of books. I can't get that with and E-Reader. By engaging most of my senses, my mind is stimulated more and I tend to remember more of what I read. A daily devotional kind of book offers the opportunity to do this on a daily basis and a smaller scale, while learning a bit about history.



  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog! Have a great day!!