Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Nearly Empty Nesting

This is what we prepare them for, right? We raise our children to be responsible and productive adults so that they can make their own way in the world. Why is it so hard to let go?

How did they grow up so fast?


My daughters recently moved into an apartment together just thirty miles from home. Yes, they have moved out before. One moved to a different state for four years and the other into an apartment on her own. But years after they moved out, they came back. For the past five years, my oldest daughter has been living with me. The youngest lived with my ex-husband who was generous enough to take her in. She was seven blocks away so it was like having them both at home.

Now they are gone again. 

Obviously, I am happy that I had a part in raising two beautiful well adjusted young women. Indeed, I am the proud mom. It was very hard to let go even though they are in their twenties. Part of me wants to keep them close forever and keep them as safe as possible. But the other part says that it is time for them to spread their wings and fly the way they were meant to. That and wouldn't it be nice to not have to share a room with my nine year old son for a change. Yes, I do still have a nine year old son to keep me company and now can devote more attention to his needs. They are all my babies and we as parents spend so much time protecting them. We forget that eventually they leave the nest and try the the things they have learned from us. They will make mistakes and learn from them as they always have.

Though they are only thirty miles away, I will be a mom that worries after them forever. I can't help it! So for now, I will enjoy the freedom of having a girly bedroom instead of a toy infested nine year old boys play room. And, I will watch from afar as the two oldest take the steps to make lives for themselves away from the shelter of mom. I miss them already! :(

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog! Have a great day!!